
Today it was raining and I could not help but wish that I were home with a good book and comfy blanket. I will always make time for reading in my life. I derive so much pleasure from it.
One of my most defining characteristics is the fact that I see myself as a work in progress. I enjoy finding my many weaknesses and getting to work on making myself a better person. I began thinking about the books that have made the most impact on my life. They are books that have aided in my process of growth and change. Here is a small sampling:
- The standard works: The Book of Mormon, Bible, and the Doctrine of Covenants. I started reading these when I was an early teen and they have taught me more about life and the human condition than any other book or psychological theory.
- Forgiveness: a bold choice for a peaceful heart by Robin Casarjian. This book taught me how to have a forgiving heart and nature.
- Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom taught me about the life cycle and the wisdom that comes with experience.
- Morning Sun on a White Piano by Robin Meyers discusses getting back to a more simple and happy way of life.
- Feeling Good by David Burns is the principle model that I use in therapy.
- The Peacegivers by James L. Ferrell discusses how to be a peacemaker.
- A Heart Like His by Virginia H. Pearce helps me to continually try to feel the Lord's love and share love with those around me.
- The Broken Heart by Bruce C. Hafen is the first book to help me look closer to the atonement of Jesus Christ.
- A Perfect Balance by Spencer Condie. This book goes right along with my 2007 goal - trying to find balance in all things.
- Bonds That Make us Free: Healing our Relationships, Coming to Ourselves by C. Terry Warner. I use this on a daily basis with my clients and with my personal relationships. It taught me how to look at the bigger picture and to communicate more effectively.
- The Life of Pi by Yann Martel. I believe it is a beautiful story about how we can create our own reality (I am not talking about delusions or hallucinations) if the true reality is unpleasant.
- My journal: oh the fascinating lessons I have learned from it. Nice Poem.
I would love your comments and suggestions if you think you know of a book that I would enjoy!!
Public Service Announcement #29:If you need help on learning to love reading click here: http://www.wikihow.com/Love-Reading
4 comments:
"This is one you're going to want to have for your library..."
Thank you for sharing this with us. A loved insight into your mind.
That said, a confession is in order: I don't know how to read. Juan is my scribe.
Peace!
You sure read a lot of Church books. If you ever want to go in a completely different direction, might I suggest "The Dirt" by Neil Strauss. It is the biography of the band Motley Crue. It is amazing and totally debacherous.
Post a Comment